Monday, December 12, 2022

Steve's Packs Jerusalem - I even got to meet Steve himself!


 I went to Steve's Packs last week, to replace a backpack that the back strap had torn off.  I found the phone number on line, and then called to make sure the warehouse was open.  I walk in and Wow, how many backpacks, it is difficult to describe, they are everywhere and all shapes and sizes. https://www.facebook.com/STEVES.PACKS.ENGLISH/


Actually this was my first job in Israel.  I was based in Tel Aviv, to be the factory store there.  The store was across the street from the main Electric Company headquarters and plant.  I had to be there everyday at 9:00 am sharp, and close at 5:00pm.   We didn't have a car at that time, so I took the 405 to the OLD Tel Aviv Bus Station, before the new one was built in South Tel Aviv, but that was 30 years ago!  So I walked the few blocks to the store.  And waited, And waited.  I had some strange people come into the store. 

One time a man came in and looked at the most expensive backpack, I started to get excited. . . It was 160NIS!!  I told him the price.  I had a lot of time to study my Hebrew books, so I was very proud to say מאה ששים שקלים   He looked at me as if I was speaking a foriegn language!  We were already speaking Hebrew.  He then asked me במה גוולדות  . Goldot?  Goldot?  We don't have that kind of money in Israel?  We don't use gold.  He then help up a 10 NIS bill, that was gold and had a picture of Golda Meir on it.  Ahh, now I understand.  So I told him שש עשרה גולדות  Sixteen Goldot.  He was very happy and counted out the money one by one, and bought a dark blue big backpack.  

Another time a man came in and swore that I was his cousin from Ukraine.  Well, part of my family did emigrate from Ukraine to Pennsylvania in 1892, so maybe I was his long lost cousin. . . people didn't leave the shop until they bought something, even a 6 nis bus card purse for kids to wear around the neck. 

Another time a man came in a started singing to me.  In Russian!  I don't know Russian,but it was nice to listen to. 

So, the store in Tel Aviv across the street from the Electric Company plant is gone, and the building is now a high rise office complex, but I have fond memories of working for Steve Packs! And now I have a new purse and backpack too!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Heavy blanket to give away, Located in Givat Shaul

  Today we are giving away a heavy blanket.  It has never been used, and is waiting for you!    Free, This will keep you warm, even now the ...