Monday, September 9, 2013

How to Train yourself to do Transcription as a Job

I have been working on learning Transcription, to start in earnest after the Chagim, but so as to keep in practice, I have been doing short one or two minute videos from You Tube on subjects that I want to learn about.

What tools do you need?

First you need to have a word processing program.  I have tested Open Office version 3, Open Office 4 and Microsoft Word, they both work well.  Open Office 4 works ok, but you might have to change one the F12 hotkey as it opens a help file in the program instead of working in Express Scribe.

You need Express Scribe: http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html
You can download this for free, and then if you really like it you can upgrade,  I did, but it is not necessary.

You need to set up your "hotkeys" in Express Scribe, the two functions that are the most useful are the Rewind and the Play slow.  I set up the Rewind to be the F2 key, and the play slow I left on the default.

Then you need to download some YouTube videos, converting them to mp3.  You can do this online for free: http://www.youtube-mp3.org/
Then you only have to download the mp3 which doesn't take up that much space.

I also am using DropBox.  This is a cloud service, that you get 2Gigabyte free in storage.  I put all my files for Transcription there, so if my computer crashes, I can still get access to my files. If you start to work for http://transcriptionforeveryone.com/ then you will have to use DropBox to send in your work. It is a good idea to get used to how to deal with the program.

I am working myself up to transcribing by first working on 1 minute audios, for the first week, now I'm working on 2 minute videos, and then so on.  I want it to feel more natural, and get good with short texts. Then when I have to do 10 minutes of audio I'll feel more confident.

So if you are looking for a job, have a computer, can spend time training yourself, then this might be a good opportunity for you.

There are two places you can work for, if you want to work for a company:

Transcription for Everyone has offices in different countries.  They have a series of videos that you can buy for $36, +VAT if you live in Israel via paypal that can also be useful, but they are not necessary.

http://transcriptionforeveryone.com/  

Jerusalem Office:
11 Tet b'Iyar TD 1678
Ofra 9062700
P: +972-50-795-3199
F: +972-2-561-0128
E: info@transcriptionforeveryone.com


The other place you can work is: http://scribie.com/

You can sign up for free, and then after about a month, they will send you a test which you have to do and then you are certified to work on their site.  You will get paid per minute of audio transcribed.  Each audio is about 6 minutes and you can do as little or as much work as you want.


Good luck and if anyone needs help to download the programs, contact me. 
Rachael Alice  0527500608


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Mandolin for Sale! !מנגלוינה למכירה

Mandolin is a very beautiful sounding instrument.  It has a pair of strings tuned to G  D  A  E  similiar to the violin.  We use a pick to p...