Saturday, April 26, 2014

How to be a good manager

I learned how to be a good manager when I was working at the Cooperage while I was studying at UCLA.  I was the afternoon shift manager of the bussing staff.  I had the responsibility of keeping the restaurant clean and tidy.  As soon as a customer left a table, a bus person had to go and clean it, throwing away the garbage, wiping down the table, picking up trash on the floor.

There were some jobs that were really yucky.  As a hands on manager, however I would never give someone else to do a job that I wouldn't do myself.  The really yucky job was to wash out the big trash container.  It had to be taken down stairs on the freight elevator, trash emptied out and then washed out with a hose.  My employees didn't like to do this job.   They would wait until the trash was over flowing and it would start to mess up the hallway.  So I called one employee over and asked why she didn't take down the trash?   She said that it was too smelly.  So I told her, ok, let's do it together.  We took the trash down, emptied it into the big trash compactor, and we washed it out.

Word got around that I would do the dirty jobs too.  I never had trouble again to get the restaurant clean.

Managers should work alongside their employees.  This shows that the manager cares, about the job and about the employees.

 Don't forget to say the Omer!


Rachael
www.rachaelorbach.weebly.com


Rachael Orbach Certified Master Life Coach - American University of NLP Certified Master NLP Practitioner - American University of NLP B.A.- UCLA Los Angeles www.lifecoachjerusalem.weebly.com Blog: www.lifecoachjerusalem.blogspot.com Skype: life-coach-jerusalem 052-750-0608

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Mandolin for Sale! !מנגלוינה למכירה

Mandolin is a very beautiful sounding instrument.  It has a pair of strings tuned to G  D  A  E  similiar to the violin.  We use a pick to p...