Monday, February 6, 2012

The Power of Forgiveness

I came across this text and it is appropriate not only during Elul, when I taught it to an English class, but all year round.  Many people keep their anger inside and fight against everyone in their environment.  "Why can I be like so and so?  Why don't I have more money?   Why? Why? Why?  They hold grudges and use energy being angry that could have been put to better use to produce more, and to bring more happiness.  Read this story and be inspired. 





The Power of Forgiveness:

A Zohar Legend Rabbi Abba (the scribe of the Zohar) once sat at the gateway of the Town of Lud.
He saw a traveler sit down on a pile of rocks at the edge of a mountain overlooking a cliff. The man was exhausted for his journey and immediately fell asleep.
R. Abba watched this pleasant scene for a bit until to his dismay he watched as a deadly snake slithered out of the rocks making its way towards to the sleeping man.
[R. Abba, who for some reason was rooted to the spot by this drama,] suddenly watched as a new turn of events happened. A giant lizard jumped out between the rocks and killed the serpent.
R. Abba continued watching, saw the man stand up. He was surprised to see a beheaded snake lying in front of him. He quickly gathered his possessions and rose to continue his journey. At that instant the pile of rocks he was sitting on, fell into the ravine below.
The man was about to wander off when R. Abba ran after him and told him everything he had witnessed.
 R. Abba asked the man, "My friend, to what do you attribute all these miracles that just happened?"
The traveler at first, did not want to bothered, but felt the sincerity of R. Abba's question and spoke to him. "Throughout my life I have never let a person harm me, and I always calmed him down. Never have I gone to sleep without forgiving someone for hurting me in any way. Anyone who would hurt me, would I try, with all my heart, to resolve whatever hate that was between us. And lastly, I would turn the hateful situation to doing acts of kindness for the person involved in the misunderstanding."
When R. Abba heard this he burst into tears. This person's actions were greater than Joseph. For Joseph had to deal with his brothers; of course he was going to forgive his brothers. But this man forgives anyone and everyone who has harmed him. It is no surprise that God performs miracles on a daily basis for this blessed man.

Maasiyot HaZohar Vol. 1 P.169 Miketz P. 201B All stories copyright © 1997, Eliahu J. Klein.




Rachael Orbach Certified Master Life Coach - American University of NLP Certified Master NLP Practitioner - American University of NLP B.A.- UCLA Los Angeles www.lifecoachjerusalem.weebly.com Blog: www.lifecoachjerusalem.blogspot.com Skype: life-coach-jerusalem 052-750-0608

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it's truly informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!
    Bosch 64070 Fuel Pressure Regulator

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write-up, I'm regular visitor of one's site, maintain up the nice operate, and It's going to be a regular visitor for a long time.
    Scarpa Women's Kailash GTX Lady Hiking Boot

    ReplyDelete

Heavy blanket to give away, Located in Givat Shaul

  Today we are giving away a heavy blanket.  It has never been used, and is waiting for you!    Free, This will keep you warm, even now the ...