Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Angry Man a story by Rachael Orbach

The Angry Man
                                                                                               By Rachael Orbach


Avishai Cohen was an angry man.  Everything that happened made him angry.  The way he woke up in the morning groggy and full of sleep filled him with anger. “Why can’t I wake up like everybody else?”  he would say to himself.  After a cold shower he felt a little better, that was until he heard the morning news.  “ More Grad missles fall on Sederot” the headline blared out. “ Why do they have to have a war in the middle of my vacation?” he demanded.  
The children didn’t want to get dressed,  “Get dressed children!” Avishai yelled.

            “ Don’t yell in the morning,” his wife reminded.
            But Avishai could not listen, and continued being angry.  He left to go to shul, slamming the door. 
            It was a relief not having him in the apartment for an hour, now things could get done without all that noise.

            His wife needed the car to take a child to the doctor, so she drove Avishai to work.
            “Move in to the right lane.” Avishai directed.
            “No, I need to be in this lane because at the next street, I have to make a left,” his wife countered.
            “Hey, beep that car, he is going to come into your lane!” Avishai pushed.
             “No, I can’t beep, I’m going around him and I need my hands on the steering wheel to drive.”
             “But he was in your way! Why didn’t you beep him?”
            “It is not up to me to tell him how to drive.  If he is not careful, he is going to have an accident, but I go around traffic hazards very carefully.” his wife said.
            “Where are you going?” Avishai asked.
            “I’m taking you to your work, aren’t I” his wife said
            “But I wanted to go the other way!” said Avishai,
            “You asked me to drive, so you don’t bother the driver, I had a plan that would take us to your job with the least amount of traffic, and the safest way, without dangerous, busy intersections, so I don’t have to make left turns without traffic lights. When you ask someone to drive, you are a passenger, not the driver and you let the driver make the driving decisions.  If the driver gets distracted, mistakes can happen, which can cause accidents.” His wife said calmly.
            “Hey! You went through a red light!” yelled Avishai
            “Proves my point, you distracted the driver and I made a mistake.  If you continue to badger me while I am driving, I won’t not only drive you but also not get in the car with you at all.“ his wife said. With that she parked the car, got out and walked the long way home. She would use a taxi to take the child to the doctor.  It just wasn’t worth the emotional trouble to drive her husband to work.

Post notes:  We all have angry people in our lives.  The best way to deal with them is to reframe, that is to ask yourself what positive ways can I deal with this.  Why is the person angry?  Will you stay in this fight all day?  
Can you find a way around the situation.  In this story, the wife, finds it too much to deal with the husband's anger so she gets herself away from the situation.  It might not have been the most constructive way to deal with it, but sometimes a break is the best thing to do. 



Rachael Orbach Certified Life Coach www.lifecoachjerusalem.weebly.com Blog: www.life-coach-jerusalem.blogspot.com Skype: life-coach-jerusalem 052-750-0608

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heavy blanket to give away, Located in Givat Shaul

  Today we are giving away a heavy blanket.  It has never been used, and is waiting for you!    Free, This will keep you warm, even now the ...